Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 18 Sep 2017 21:56 #254445

He's still posting as Nulluser, which is actually pretty funny. I don't think he deleted his account; he's just messing with our heads.
  • Frohike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 423
Last Edit: 18 Sep 2017 22:13 by Frohike.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 20 Sep 2017 20:38 #254549

I've nuked all of my accounts all over the entire web. I just changed my handle here to Nulluser so it would be less easy to find me via Google or whatever.
  • Nulluser
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3200
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 21 Sep 2017 08:41 #254559

I've got about 6 hours into 7th Continent now. It's a damn solid game that really captures the exploration feel in a different way than we've seen. Very much Myst the board game with bits of the TV show Lost as you're exploring the continent and discovering a mythology of sorts.

My early plays were solo and last night's was with my group. It's definitely more enjoyable with another player or two, although I reckon 2 is probably optimal. 4 was a little much but it worked well enough.

Replaying an early part of the first curse was a little boring. The replayability is more optimization and so it was difficult not to direct everyone and take charge.

There's some really awesome stuff going on and finding strange bits of terrain or structures is always fascinating, however, I can see this eventually getting a bit stale and the magic wearing off. When that happens it will be hollow as the mechanisms are not deep at all.

Rhino Hero Super Battle is a riot. Strictly better than Rhino Hero as it's more interactive, more physically impressive, and thus more fun. A touch more complicated than the original but they got rid of the UNO-like card play. In some ways it's easier to run a little kid through it, as long as you take their hand through the different aspects of a turn.

Red Scare was more enjoyable as a real-time experience but it's still not a top shelf social deduction game.
  • charlest
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1613
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 21 Sep 2017 08:47 #254560

I played Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective last night, which was fun. I hadn't tried that particular formula before but once you get online with what basically each vignette is trying to tell you it's a good time. You do have half a session of sort of figuring out what straightforward cues everything is trying to give you.
  • Gary Sax
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2410
Last Edit: 23 Sep 2017 13:44 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Frohike, JEM

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 23 Sep 2017 11:15 #254657

We started last night's game session with a 5 player game of Bemused. This was the debut of the game to my group, and it is probably also the finale, since I often struggle to even get 4 players to show up, and two of them didn't like it. Surprise, this is the same two who don't like Cosmic Encounter. One of them last night flat out told me that he doesn't like negotiation in games. Well that SUCKS. This is a fun game, and I just lack the players to make it happen.

Next was a 6 player game of Spartacus. This is a group favorite, and probably shares the title of favorite game of the group with Cthulhu Wars. My negotiation-hating friend even enjoys this game, because he feels there are enough different aspects of it that he can still have fun. He does tend to not make deals, which is of course a big part of Spartacus.

After Spartacus we lost two players, and one guy brought out a Gen Con acquisition, some war game called 878 Vikings. It's two on two, with one side being two factions of Vikings, and the other being two factions of English. It was not bad, and I'd try it again. By the time it wrapped up, I was really fading, so it might be nice to try it earlier in the evening.
  • hotseatgames
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1459
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 23 Sep 2017 15:34 #254667

Bemused is so good, but it looks really weird to people seeing it for the first time. I actually recommend to my friends that we play a second game right away, just to be more familiar with it. Sorry it hasn't taken for your group, that's a shame.
Subscribe to my game blog, The Rumpus Room.
sanildefanso.wordpress.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.297 seconds