Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 14 Jan 2018 12:05 #260903

hotseatgames wrote:
They both liked it but balked at the notion of playing with a traitor. I'll keep working on them.

The lab results for your friends are now available.

They are made of 80% sugar, which explains why they are such candy asses.
  • Colorcrayons
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 854
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 14 Jan 2018 12:13 #260904

Indeed. These two also hate Cosmic Encounter. They would be replaced promptly, but I need live bodies, and one of them owns Cthulhu Wars so he gets to stay by default.
  • hotseatgames
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1695
The following user(s) said Thank You: cranberries, Colorcrayons

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 14 Jan 2018 13:07 #260906

Jexik wrote:
Couple games played last night.

Cobra Paw is stupid fun, made by Bananagrams. I don't think it's worth it for me to carry in my shop, but you can buy it for like $15 at Target or whatever. Roll two dice. Grab the domino that matches what is shown- you could probably proxy it with 2d6 and a set of dominos. 21 of them, each unique. First to 6 wins. You CAN steal if an opponent's domino is rolled for. The actual game has some kanji and other asian looking things with 6 different colors to make finding them easier than dominos would be, and the actual dominos have a pretty damn slick design.

The Networks is okay. Reminds me of a slightly more complicated version of whatever that old german movie making game was. Rules are simple, but it looks pretty complicated and does some clever things. It's kind of 'heavy' in the way that Power Grid might be, if you hate adding 2 digit numbers. Jokes are probably funny the first few times- I don't see playing this 10 times with the same group. I'd be fine if I never played it again, but I probably won't turn it down either. A bit too much for the 7-year-old, even when he was just a teammate handling someone's money.

Regarding Cobra Paw, this seems like it would be a good camping game. I often see and teach Dominos and Farkle on campouts because they're incredibly durable and cheap. I just buy a set of D6 dice and dominos at the dollar store and printout instructions to give away. I also don't see why you couldn't bring along two D6 to play Cobra Paw with an ordinary Dominos set of tiles.
  • stoic
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 664
Last Edit: 14 Jan 2018 13:08 by stoic.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 15 Jan 2018 08:41 #260960

Elder Sign (standard game) is not at all difficult once you know how it works. To the point that it's consistently far too easy, and the expansions make it a lot more interesting.
  • JEM
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 592

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 15 Jan 2018 09:11 #260961

I taught Techno Bowl to my buddy this weekend and we had a blast. The procedure takes a few plays to get it down, but it moves pretty quick from there.

I was talking to the dude who made the TTS module on Discord and I am excited to try that out as well. I think I may try to make scripted plays and formations for a team so that I can be sure to hit that one minute time cap.

If there was a new Blood Bowl, the mecahanic from Techno Bowl should be used. The playstyle is just that much better.
  • the_jake_1973
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 491
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 15 Jan 2018 09:14 #260962

Brent Spivey has said that a fantasy version of Techno Bowl was not out of the question. As much as I'd love that, I think I'd rather see Techno Basketball first.
  • hotseatgames
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1695

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 15 Jan 2018 09:53 #260968

Anyone tried a Handful of Stars, the new Martin Wallace game?
  • Gary Sax
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2613

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 15 Jan 2018 10:23 #260970

Yeah I've played Handful of Stars a bunch. I really like it alot. Definitely rewards aggressive play and the tech card upgrades are pretty awesome to buy and use. The primary way of scoring points is holding territory, meaning for the last quarter of the game players have to take territory from each other since all the neutral planets are likely gone. There isn't a great way to win without fighting each other unless you are the one faction that gets bonus VPs for buying specific cards and storing them. And for a Wallace game the rules are very easy to handle with minimal exceptions.

I bought the 3D printer tokens from etsy, the game looks awesome using those instead of the single side printed cardboard tokens that come with the game.

• Scott_F
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 215
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Gary Sax, stoic, Gregarius

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 15 Jan 2018 10:44 #260974

A Handful of Stars looks so cool. What about all of those initial component errors that were reported? Did they sort that stuff out?
  • stoic
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 664
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 15 Jan 2018 11:10 #260979

The initial component errors only related to a couple of planet cards being labeled wrong. And they fixed that before shipping to the US. Europe got the game a couple months early and had to request the correct cards. Card quality is super poor, but if you have some spare sleeves that fixes it.
  • Scott_F
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 215
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 15 Jan 2018 13:10 #260988

Kingdom Builder was better than I remembered, and a big hit with the missus and some friends (not game nerds specifically). I found a place selling the expansions and even the big box with everything pretty cheap but I dont know if its worth it. Its actually quite a hard game to get your head around and play well, but somehow still works when youre trying to work out what youre doing which I think is why it works in a "gateway" type setting as well. I have a suspicion that having loads of extra options will just make it a ballache deciding which bits to include or not include in each game and provide too much bloat without enough beef. Anyone have any experience with KB who could comment? Sad to say it went over much better than Tigris & Euphrates, I just think that game makes casual gamers feel more stupid than KB does, even if both are pretty simple rules wise but hard to master. I do think theres a lot to be said about that whole concept of people just dont like to feel like they dont really get what or why the fuck they are doing something, probably why its worse in euros where often the this then that doesnt really make any sense that can be related to. I cant believe that KB is better than Tigris, but god knows the last time I sat to play Tigris regularly with 3 other people who kind of know what theyre doing, so at the end of the day, KB seems like a more likely game to keep around and invest in maybe.
  • Tron
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 83

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 15 Jan 2018 13:15 #260989

I’m no spring chicken and T&E still befuddles me.
  • SuperflyTNT
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3614
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 15 Jan 2018 17:31 #261005

I'm a big KB fan. Adding expansion is alright for new players because in any given game you only yave 4 special powers and 3 winning conditions. For new players I always tell them to focus on 2 winning conditions and 2 powers for easier learning.
  • Sevej
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 699

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 15 Jan 2018 17:31 #261006

T&e is all about risk management if memory serves. Elegant game but boy did I get sick of it
  • Black Barney
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2939
"We must let go of the life we had planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us." - Joseph Campbell
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.295 seconds