Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 22 May 2018 20:56 #273909

charlest wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:
charlest wrote:
Michael Barnes wrote:
Gosh, Gloomhaven sure is good.

Wait, you mean knee-jerk reactions about Kickstarter and large games aren't always accurate?

Imagine how good it would have been with professional editing.

It wouldn't have existed.

But, maybe as good as the first printing of Forbidden Alchemy? Or perhaps as good as A Few Acres of Snow? Perhaps even First Martians good.

Relax bud, I couldn't resist.

I don't mind Kickstarter, I'm just generally willing to let someone else put their money up front instead of me.
  • Sagrilarus
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 3148
Last Edit: 22 May 2018 20:57 by Sagrilarus.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 22 May 2018 23:38 #273913

The wife and I played our fourth game of Cartouche Dynasties from Small Box Games. The objective is to build up your dynasty in Egypt by worshiping Gods to collect buildings, followers, statues, and scarabs. There are several of each of these items, and part of the puzzle is figuring out which ones you can obtain to pair up for multipliers and prestige. Another challenge is to make it so that in one turn you don't just play a card to get a card. Wise card selection allows for much more powerful moves as some cards have variable uses, while others have conditional effects. More so than any other game I can think of, it just took one play for both of us to advance to a metagame where we were both thinking how to maximize our own moves, but also screw the other one over. This one ranks high in my collection and travels so light I wish I had a second copy for the glove compartment. I'd highly recommend it if you have a regular partner for two player games and the chance to snag a copy.

Given a lack of creativity, procrastination, and a decent sale, I picked up Ticket to Ride Nordic Countries prior to mother's day. Two games in and I'd say it's the TTR to reach for until the kids get older. Only plays 2-3 players, and does a great job forcing players into conflict without hurt feelings because the board is so cramped. I was surprised that I enjoyed it so much.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, hotseatgames, WadeMonnig

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 23 May 2018 08:30 #273920

Sagrilarus wrote:
charlest wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:
charlest wrote:
Michael Barnes wrote:
Gosh, Gloomhaven sure is good.

Wait, you mean knee-jerk reactions about Kickstarter and large games aren't always accurate?

Imagine how good it would have been with professional editing.

It wouldn't have existed.

But, maybe as good as the first printing of Forbidden Alchemy? Or perhaps as good as A Few Acres of Snow? Perhaps even First Martians good.

Relax bud, I couldn't resist.

I don't mind Kickstarter, I'm just generally willing to let someone else put their money up front instead of me.

My tone was pretty light as well. I don't love Kickstarter, despite being a contrarian on here often.
  • charlest
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 2010

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 24 May 2018 00:31 #273984

My games finally arrived after their long journey across the Pacific, so my sons and I thought it good to play a game of Dungeonquest, a favorite of ours. My five-year-old died trapped in a rotating room that rotated him right into a wall. My eight-year-old died from a crossfire trap after having been weakened by a vampire he found in the catacombs. I made it to the middle, got several thousand gold worth of treasure, then promptly fell down a bottomless pit.

We had to have a long conversation about how to lose gracefully.
Subscribe to my game blog, The Rumpus Room.
sanildefanso.wordpress.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Gary Sax, lj1983, Ancient_of_MuMu, WadeMonnig

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 24 May 2018 00:50 #273985

Champions of midgard with dark mountains: Do we just have horrible luck or are the dark mountains punishment cards way too brutal?
  • WadeMonnig
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 13
Time to create page: 0.307 seconds